Thursday, June 21, 2012

Booktalk (Week of: June 25-28)

Curtis, C.P. (1999).  Bud not Buddy. New York: Scholastic, Inc..

       Have I ever told you the story about the time I was on the lam from the Home?  That's where they sent kids that didn't have a momma, or daddy, or any other kin to look after us.  Momma died when I was six and Daddy...well....I was going to find him, no matter what, even though I had never met him.  All's I knew is he played the biggest fiddle you ever did see, at least according to a flier Momma kept around with her. One thing's for certain, I was not going back to that Home! 
       Well, it all started back during the Depression.  Times were tough and, to make matters worse, I was only ten years old and weighed about as much as a sack of potatoes, had everything I owned with me in a suitcase, traveling, roaming, wandering away from Flint to find my daddy.  One thing that got me through it was, what I liked to call, "Bud Caldwell's Rules and Things to Have a Funner Life and Make a Better Liar Out of Yourself." (pg. 133)  Like:

 RULES AND THINGS NUMBER 8

Whenever a Adult Tells You to Listen Carefully and Talks to You
in a Real Calm Voice Do Not Listen, Run as Fast as You Can Because
Something Real Terrible Is Just Around the Corner. 
Especially If the Cops Are Chasing You.

Another thing I had to keep reminding folks was, "The name's Bud, Not Buddy"..... by Christopher Paul Curtis.

Bud, Not Buddy

Age Level:  Grade 3-8

Genre:  Historical Fiction



No comments:

Post a Comment